The very first genetically modified organism, known as a GMO, was approved in the United States for consumption over twenty years ago. Since that first tomato was engineered, production in other foods has increased dramatically, and so has intense scrutiny about the potential human health problems that are a result of consuming these GMOs. The biggest problem today is that many people are eating processed foods that are genetically engineered, and many have little if no idea what they have been consuming is bad for the environment and worse for their health.
Consider this growing list of seven of the most common processed GMO foods you need to avoid.
1. Fruit and Vegetable Juices
The GMO journey got its start over twenty years ago with the tomato, and today the tomato tops the list of processed foods you need to avoid at all costs. These tomatoes also find there way into many fruit and vegetable juices that you might think are completely safe because of the way the packages are advertised. Just because the package reads natural or organic, does not mean every ingredient falls into that category. Many genetically modified foods like the tomato and the papaya are commonly used in the fruits many people consume because they assume they are a healthy alternative to soda, coffee, and energy drinks.
2. Grocery Store Beef
Te beef that you are purchasing in your grocery store is more than likely corn-fed cattle. The problem for many consumers is that the cattle are ruminants, meaning, they have always naturally survived on the grass in their diet, and their bodies are uniquely designed to digest the grasses efficiently. Ranchers are making the more affordable switch to feeding cattle corn because in addition to saving them money, it makes the cattle fatter faster. The cattle cannot digest genetically modified corn correctly, so they quickly become sick. One of the problems for cattle is when the growth of E coli forms, which has been proven fatal in humans. The best way to ensure the beef that you purchase at the butcher or grocery store is safe, make sure the packaging reads grass-fed.